Hypalon CSM Rubber Sheets
What is CSM Rubber?
Chlorosulfonated polyethylene or CSM is a synthetic rubber based on
polyethylene. This rubber is a material with Neoprene
plus other qualities. The CSM rubber is suitable for
continuous use up to about 130 degree celcius. Chlorosulfonated polyethylene
(CSM) is known for its excellent resistance to atmospheric conditions and
good resistance to chemicals. Chlorosulfonated polyethylene is used in a
variety of industrial and automotive applications that require high
performance and have to withstand extreme weather conditions. Some poducts
where chlorosulfonated polyethylene rubber is used include
, hoses, valve seals and
Hypalon® is the trade mark of CSM. Hypalon was
developed in 1951 and since then it has become the common name for
chlorosulfonated polyethylene. It is a product of DuPont Performance
Elastomers, a subsidiary of DuPont. However, it is also manufactured by
other manufacturers with different trade names. Hypalon® has always
demonstrated durability in harsh environments. This type of rubber is known
to be used in applications that require high performance and resistance to
chemicals, temperature extremes, and ultraviolet light.
Properties of Hypalon or Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene (CSM)
- This rubber has excellent resistance to oxygen, ozone and most
- It has poor fuel resistance.
- It also has poor compression set resistance which limits its utility
in dynamic sealing applications.
- It also has poor compression set resistance which limits its
usefulness in dynamic sealing applications.
- It is resistant to weather.
- It is also resistant to abrasion.
Uses of Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene
is used in a number of applications. Variety of products are made using CSM.
Some of the popular uses and applications of Hypalon or chlorosulfonated
polyethylene (CSM) are as follows:
- Construction industry uses CSM for roofing membranes, liners and
covers for portable water reservoirs etc.
- Automotive industry uses chlorosulfonated polyethylene for making
hoses, tubing and belts etc. Automotive components like high-temperature
timing belts and power steering are made of CSM.
- Wire and cable industry uses CSM for making molded goods, coatings
and adhesives. It is widely used for jacketing and insulation for wire
- For manufacturing of such industrial products as hose, rolls, seals,
gaskets, diaphragms and lining for chemical processing equipment also,
chlorosulfonated polyethylene is a preferred choice.
- Some other products where CSM is used widely include
rubber coating shoe soles, flexible
tubes, flexible magnetic binders, and a host of protective and
Other Types of Synthetic Rubber